What to do ?

Get help with your mobile devices

What to do ?

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:37 am

Both me and Mrs O2MACH2 have contracts with Vodafone and both contracts are due an upgrade.

I have an Elm and Mrs O2MACH2 a Nokia......both "normal" mobile phones (i.e. not smart) used just for voice and text.....no internet.

According to their coverage checker, Vodafone currently reckon they don't provide 4G in the Bristol area.

According to the EE Coverage Checker, where we live and work :

UPGRADED TO DOUBLE SPEED 4G
Great news, the 4G network in this area has been upgraded to double speed 4G. This means everything is even faster than before, like uploading large files or downloading a film from EE's Film Store.

So as basic "normal" mobile phones on contract are now like chocolate teapots what do the forum gurus recommend we do ?

We have SkyexO2 BB at home (potentially being replaced by BT Infinity) so is it worth having a 4G connection using a smartphone and if so which phone ?

Or do we just upgrade to a smartphone (which are unnecessarily large for just voice and text use) without an internet add-on ?
O2MACH2
Established Member

Re: What to do ?

PostPosted by liquid » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 am

If you're not interested in consuming data by surfing downloading whatever then I'd advise sticking to the normal phones.

Unless you're interested in surfing whilst you're out and about then I honestly don't see the need in the added expense.
All those who believe in Telekenesis raise my hand.
liquid
Site Admin

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:56 am

For once me and Mrs O2MACH2 agree as regards the need for internet on the move but the choice of normal-size phones on upgrades are becoming very restrictive.

So do we drop the contracts and just buy basic unlocked phones with PAYG SIMS ?

One point I didn't mention is that like Cleoriff we spend a lot of time on Spain. Currently we use a Spanish PAYG SIM as my Elm and her Nokia are unlocked.
O2MACH2
Established Member

PostPosted by stuart » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:59 am

Last edited by stuart on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help4Mobiles on Facebook
helpwithmobile on Twitter
help4mobiles on Instagram
help4mobiles on YouTube
www.help4mobiles.blogspot.co.uk
stuart
Social Media Manager

PostPosted by liquid » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:02 am

I'd agree with buying sim free unlocked phones then just shop around for the cheapest tariff.

As for unlocked phones I'm sure I don't need to tell you but be careful as some of the "sim free" phones lock to the first carriers sim you put in.

You could grab a cheap smartphone like an old lumia or Samsung s2 you get the advantages of a smart phone but just turn off mobile data and leave wifi on. Then if you fancy using the Internet on the phone the option is there but you won't be paying for it all the time.
liquid
Site Admin

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 am

liquid wrote:You could grab a cheap smartphone like an old lumia or Samsung s2 you get the advantages of a smart phone

But they're so much larger than a typical "mobile phone" eg one used just for voice and text......I don't need to appear "excited" if I put a phone in my trouser pocket ;)

@stuart.....that Nokia does suit also I bought a large button phone for a 90 year old relation recently but wasn't impressed by the basics.....OK for a 90 year old but I'd like a little more sophistication.
O2MACH2
Established Member

PostPosted by liquid » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 am

Lol ok that's fair enough :D I get the biggest phone I can hehe.

Maybe an old iPhone then? Or xperia? They're not huge. Ok screens are but that also contains the keyboard.
liquid
Site Admin

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:21 am

liquid wrote:Maybe an old iPhone then?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :vom
O2MACH2
Established Member

PostPosted by Cleoriff » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:32 am

Not a guru obviously so can only talk about time in Spain with my S3.. (which is O2 locked :roll: )

The only reason I got this phone (Changing from PAYG to Contract) was the deal on offer a year ago..in a promotional sale..and not available now..

O2 Unlimited (everything) £30 p.m.

In Spain I can make and receive calls for the 50p connection fee then for 59 mins the call is free. The problem in my area of Spain is finding Wifi.

My apartment complex hasn't got it but many bars and restaurants nearby have. So my laptop is also in constant use.

Though I love the S3 now, I always take my PAYG Motorola KRZR with me as a 'just in case' scenario.
The Game Is On....
Cleoriff
Global Mod

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 am

Cleoriff wrote:The only reason I got this phone (Changing from PAYG to Contract) was the deal on offer a year ago..in a promotional sale..and not available now..O2 Unlimited (everything) £30 p.m.

My Voda contract with the Elm is £10.70 pm with 200 minutes and 500 texts so PAYG is attractive.
O2MACH2
Established Member

Next

Return to Get help with your mobile