Tesco hudl 2 review

Reviews of products our members have owned or trialed.

Tesco hudl 2 review

PostPosted by pdmoulsher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Christmas comes but once a year, and this time round, Tesco have really come up trumps! As many of you will no doubt be aware the supermarket giant allows you to put your earned clubcard points into their ‘Christmas saver’ type account, and come the festive season you can double the value of said points in various sections of the store.
This year Mrs M amassed a very healthy £184 worth, just by doing the main weekly shop there, and as I was perusing the clubcard seasonal catalogue (in particular the ‘double up’ section) something leapt out at me - the hudl 2 Android tablet at £129 each …… Now I’m no Rachel Riley, but even I can work out that 2 x 184 equates to more than enough to sort the twins main pressie ….. for nowt!! :ooyh

Hard earned points duly spent, the brace of hudl 2s were charged, set up and wrapped. Come Christmas morning they were greeted with delight by their new owners.
So, are they any good ………

As they effectively cost nothing I have tried to be objective, imagining I had forked out £258 for the pair, which is still less than you would expect to pay for just one decent spec 8” plus device.

First off - Build quality: Big surprise here as expectations were pretty low - I’m a lifelong member of the “you get what you pay for” society so was amazed to find the device is finished to a very high standard! There’s a remarkably premium feel, with a nice soft touch coating to the rear, around the sides and framing the excellent display. All the ports and buttons are sensibly placed, and there’s a high degree of ergonomics incorporated in the design - definitely punches above its weight!

Performance: The device runs virtually stock Android 4.4.2 with Tesco’s own launcher powered by an Intel Atom quad core processor (1.83 GHz) and 2GB of RAM. In English this translates to a fast, responsive and fluid user experience easily on par with £300+ hardware. There’s 16GB of storage, expandable by a further 32GB via micro sd - not massive, but remember this is an entry level tablet aimed at first time users/kids. All things considered, you get more than you could reasonably expect for your buck.

Display: At 8.3 inches with 1920 x 1200 pixels it is full HD resolution and does not disappoint. Images are bright and clear with rich colours, and text is sharp and easy to read. Movies and games come across really well and graphics are excellent - easily equal to devices three times the price ;)

Camera: With 5MP rear and 1.2MP front the ‘shooters’ are the same as an iPad Mini 2, although running the stock Android app software the resulting images/videos are fairly unremarkable, if not poor. Definitely not a strong area for this device, and for once, what you WOULD expect for the money.

Apps: As you would expect of a Tesco branded product it has a liberal smattering of their apps pre-installed, and one or two of them are quite useful. There’s a ‘get started’ app which will guide even your most technophobic great aunt through the basics, and a ‘child safety’ app that can automatically configure access to online content based on the users age - pretty cool! All the usual Google stuff is there and as this is an Android device you can, of course, put what you want where you want, simples! :D

Battery: The jury’s still out on this subject as the twins have hardly put them down since the wrapping came off, and there’s only been two or three proper charge/discharge cycles. So far they seem to be managing between 5 to 6 hours of constant, mixed use from full to exhausted. Not brilliant but I expect this to improve with use ……..

Extras: Are you serious? At this price?!! You get the tablet and a charger/USB lead. However, there’s also a little booklet with vouchers for such things as £10 off ebooks, and movies/music via Blinkbox - as the saying goes ‘every little helps’.

So, to answer the initial question I shall quote directly from the final verdict reached by the good folk over at Techradar in their in-depth review:
Conclusion: “If you're shopping for a family tablet that you can share with the kids, this is it. If you want to gift a tablet to someone who has never tried one before, this is it. If you want a cheap tablet for casual use around the house, this is it.
The Tesco Hudl 2 is not the best tablet on the market. It's not the fastest or the prettiest. It doesn't have cutting edge specs. What it does offer is a solid all-round experience at an unbeatable price.
Pound for pound you will not be able to find anything better, at least until Google refreshes the Nexus line. If you want the best value stock Android tablet on the market, this is it”

Couldn’t have put it better myself :bringit
The only way is Android!
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7
Vodafone Red 4G
Any way the wind blows
pdmoulsher
Global Mod

Re: Tesco hudl 2 review

PostPosted by MI5 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Nice one mate - sounds good :ooyh
Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
S3 i9305, Rooted, CM 12.1, Lycamobile.
Xperia Z5 Dual Sim, EE & O2.
Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet LTE, Three.

Imitation. The sincerest form of flattery
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/psl184
MI5
Site Admin

PostPosted by pdmoulsher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks mate, have to say I'd be happy if I'd paid full price :dance
The only way is Android!
Samsung Galaxy S8
Vodafone Red 4G
Any way the wind blows
pdmoulsher
Global Mod

PostPosted by Gillsfankev » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Cracking review. Thanks for sharing.
Yooooooooouu Arrrrrrrrreeeeee
Gillsfankev
Global Mod

PostPosted by pdmoulsher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Lol :lmao
The only way is Android!
Samsung Galaxy S8
Vodafone Red 4G
Any way the wind blows
pdmoulsher
Global Mod

PostPosted by Cleoriff » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:08 am

The Gadget Show did a review of three cheap Tablets...This was the most expensive at 129.99 (can't remember the other two)
This came out top of the 3 they tested.....so you did good Phil... :bringit
http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/review/t ... dl2-review
The Game Is On....
Cleoriff
Global Mod

PostPosted by phillpark » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:38 pm

I have been suitably impressed with the Asus Memopad 7 (as recommended by @MI5), that we got for £80 for my lad for Xmas. I was genuinely concerned when we powered it up that it would be slow to respond, with a poor display etc, but I must say for the price it is amazing!

So much so, I'm tempted to get one myself. I think it may have been in the Gadget Show review @Cleoriff mentioned, and got 3G's. The thing that Bentley chap said let it down was the speaker quality, but for a £80 tablet i don't think you can expect too much!

As i said, very impressed!
Samsung Galaxy S6 - Next is now!

First Mobile: Cellnet Easylife payg in 1997
phillpark
Trustee

Return to Product reviews