BT Fibre

Get help with your broadband connection.

Re: BT Fibre

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:24 am

So !............how is it ?
O2MACH2
Established Member

PostPosted by phillpark » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:20 am

The short answer is - Don't know yet!

Engineer came out to install phone line, went to the CAB and then came back and said 'there's a problem, I can't get a dial tone, I can't do the installation'.

Turns out there had been an error with Virgin 'releasing' the phone number (some sort of system error), and that meant the guys efforts to get the line working failed. By the time they had resolved the issue they couldn't book another engineer to come out till today (earliest slot apparently, even though it was Wednesday the guy came initially). Mrs phillpark isn't at home today, so they aren't coming till tomorrow.

Worse news was though, by Friday morning Virgin had disconnected the broadband and tv services, so we've spent the weekend in the dark ages and I've maxed out my mobile data!
Samsung Galaxy S6 - Next is now!

First Mobile: Cellnet Easylife payg in 1997
phillpark
Trustee

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:30 am

All going well then !!!!

Hardware of the cable failure............says it all

O2MACH2
Established Member

PostPosted by phillpark » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 pm

BT Infinity now working:

phillpark
Trustee

PostPosted by MI5 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:50 pm

:ooyh
Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
S3 i9305, Rooted, CM 12.1, Lycamobile.
Xperia Z5 Dual Sim, EE & O2.
Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet LTE, Three.

Imitation. The sincerest form of flattery
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/psl184
MI5
Site Admin

PostPosted by Bambino » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:06 am

Well my new experience with Virgin Media is kind of half and half. Everything is working, but there's a utilization issue in my area regarding my broadband, which apparently is going to take months to fix. My speed is okay, but I'm not getting the full speed I'm paying for. I'm getting 87 MB down, 12 MB up. I'm paying for 152 MB down. After having two engineer visits within 3 weeks, and not being able to resolve this quickly, my first bill, which they lump into two months, will leave me £37.50 in credit. They are also reducing my monthly bill afterwards by £12.50 per month until at least July at the minimum, and will carry on doing so until the broadband issue is resolved. So a pretty good result so far from them. Their customer service has been very good.
Bambino
Trustee

PostPosted by phillpark » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:36 am

My BT experience has been 'hit and miss' too. They came to install the services last Wednesday, but due to a fault the engineer couldn't get a dial tone, so buggered off without doing any of the internal work (I.e. fixing a telephone socket inside the house).

This meant that mrs phillpark had to wait in again for another engineer to visit to do the installation work the other guy hadn't done, when in theory he could have gone to the exchange and connected the line once the fault had been fixed. turns out it was one of two contractor companies that came initially, and BT are trying to get rid of them cos they're s#it. My friend who works for Openreach, and this other engineer were both slagging the contractors off. they get paid per job attended, so as soon as he realised he couldn't complete the whole job, but would get paid anyway, he buggered off to the next install instead.

My phone line STILL isn't working, and I currently have a temporary number why BT figure out why they can't get my old Virgin number to port. Annoying thing is, I don't even particularly want the old number, I'd be quite happy with a new one! But a condition of joining was porting the old number! :cleo

phillpark
Trustee

PostPosted by Bambino » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:26 pm

Sounds like a real pain Phill. My number port from BT to Virgin went without any problem. I think they're all pretty much of a muchness. Sometimes you get good CS and good engineers, sometimes you don't. Hope you get yours sorted soon.
Bambino
Trustee

PostPosted by phillpark » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:50 pm

The proper Openreach engineer was very good, we even got him to drill us an extra hole in the wall so I can run the cable from the newly acquired loft aerial into the house a bit more neatly. The original guy (contractor), just wanted to take the money (from BT) and run, unfortunately.

Virgin CS have always been quite good to us.

phillpark
Trustee

PostPosted by phillpark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:55 am

Ok, so a year on and our 'offer' with BT has finished, and our bill went up £15. Obviously I phoned and moaned and they are now saying they will do me another deal.

BUT

I can do a deal with Sky if switching from BT to get their packages half price (special offer if you switch from BT or Virgin.) I can do that and get sky's unlimited fibre for less than a pound more than BT are offering me to stay.

So the question is 'should I stay or should I go now?'

Any thoughts on which is better broadband; BT infiniti hub 5 with unlimited fibre, or Sky's unlimited fibre? I think we'd get more tv channels with the Sky deal, but arguably the broadband speed and reliability is more important...

phillpark
Trustee

PreviousNext

Return to Home broadband & home phone