BT Fibre

Get help with your broadband connection.

BT Fibre

PostPosted by phillpark » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:15 pm

Mrs phillpark and I have decided that after 8 years (of continual price increases) to kick Virgin to the kerb, and sign up with BT.

We were considering TalkTalk but the online chat said that they didn't have their infrastructure in our exchange so couldn't accommodate us. Sky wasn't going to work out much cheaper, so wasn't worth the switch, so after after some searching around we settled on BT.

I know some of you use some of BT's services, is it ok generally? Once the latest (£4+) price rise from Virgin takes place in February, we will basically be saving £25pm on our services by going to BT. I appreciate we don't get as much TV-wise, but couldn't justify spending that money when a cheaper alternative was available.
Samsung Galaxy S6 - Next is now!

First Mobile: Cellnet Easylife payg in 1997
phillpark
Trustee

Re: BT Fibre

PostPosted by Cleoriff » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:49 pm

phillpark wrote:Mrs phillpark and I have decided that after 8 years (of continual price increases) to kick Virgin to the kerb, and sign up with BT.

We were considering TalkTalk but the online chat said that they didn't have their infrastructure in our exchange so couldn't accommodate us. Sky wasn't going to work out much cheaper, so wasn't worth the switch, so after after some searching around we settled on BT.

I know some of you use some of BT's services, is it ok generally? Once the latest (£4+) price rise from Virgin takes place in February, we will basically be saving £25pm on our services by going to BT. I appreciate we don't get as much TV-wise, but couldn't justify spending that money when a cheaper alternative was available.

Phill we kicked Virgin into touch for exactly the same reason as yourself. Add to that it couldn't cope with the 3 computers and 2 Xboxes we had without constant lagging.
(Much to the disgust of my grandson when in the middle of some 'campaign' or another.)

We have had BT now for 6 years and honesty never looked back. We upgraded to BT Infinity (special offer free to long term customers)
It was meant to bring speeds of 80mgb. Never got that but have touched 70 and now it evens out to between 50-55. No lagging or buffering. The grandson is with us every week with all his devices...laptop, tablets, mobile phone. 2 Xboxes and we have no complaints at all

Incidentally...My area is CV10. Rich is CV11...and swears by Virgin...but there you go. :wow

As for TV... we have had Sky for ages and stick to that....
The Game Is On....
Cleoriff
Global Mod

PostPosted by MI5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:52 pm

I'm only Virgin BB - I have Sky for TV.
Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
S3 i9305, Rooted, CM 12.1, Lycamobile.
Xperia Z5 Dual Sim, EE & O2.
Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet LTE, Three.

Imitation. The sincerest form of flattery
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/psl184
MI5
Site Admin

PostPosted by Bambino » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm switching from Sky and BT over to Virgin tomorrow. Sky and BT only started throwing cheaper deals at me after I'd already told them I had signed a contract with Virgin. None of them give a rat's for existing customers. All the so called 'offers' are for new customers only, until you tell them you're leaving. My deal with Virgin will work out cheaper than what I had with Sky and BT, and I'm getting more channels and faster broadband. The only channel I will miss will be Sky Atlantic. I'll have to find a way around that.
Bambino
Trustee

PostPosted by Gillsfankev » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Pay a mate a fiver a month for his sky go access and boom! Job done!
Yooooooooouu Arrrrrrrrreeeeee
Gillsfankev
Global Mod

PostPosted by MI5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:53 pm

That's what I do for BT Sport but I get it free now with the latest deal :ooyh
Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
S3 i9305, Rooted, CM 12.1, Lycamobile.
Xperia Z5 Dual Sim, EE & O2.
Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet LTE, Three.

Imitation. The sincerest form of flattery
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/psl184
MI5
Site Admin

PostPosted by phillpark » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:19 am

So BT home phone, tv and infinity (fibre optic) broadband are due at the phillpark residence tomorrow. Something that has been puzzling me is how do BT get fibre optic broadband into the house? Do they use the same cabling that Virgin did (I.e. fibre optic cables), cos I don't understand how else you would get fibre optic broadband through a standard BT phone cable?
Samsung Galaxy S6 - Next is now!

First Mobile: Cellnet Easylife payg in 1997
phillpark
Trustee

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am

It's not fibre to the premises (FTTP) it's fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) so from the green cabinet (fed by fibre from the MSAN cabinet) it's the good old original copper.....or if you're unlucky aluminium.
O2MACH2
Established Member

PostPosted by Cleoriff » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 am

O2MACH2 wrote:It's not fibre to the premises (FTTP) it's fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) so from the green cabinet (fed by fibre from the MSAN cabinet) it's the good old original copper.....or if you're unlucky aluminium.

Now you know I am never going to challenge the Prof on this but......when we upgraded to Infinity they ripped all our cabling out in the house and changed them....

Oh Whoops...no they didn't. They did that when we had a Sky HD box installed...

Sorry Phill...as you were. :facepalm :lmao :lmao :halo
The Game Is On....
Cleoriff
Global Mod

PostPosted by O2MACH2 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42 am

O2MACH2
Established Member

Next

Return to Home broadband & home phone