MVNO's

Get help with your pay monthly service

MVNO's

PostPosted by phillpark » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:24 am

I am slowly coming towards the end of my 24 month contract. I have been toying with the idea of trying to get a OnePlus Two handset, then going sim only. If I spent around £13pm on a sim only deal (adequate for my needs), and add the price of the handset (currently £289 for the 64Gb version), it would average out over 24 months at around £25pm, which is quite reasonable. I know I'd have to get an 'invite' to get the OnePlus handset, but I have a friend who bought an invite for £10 off of Ebay for the OnePlus One, and that worked fine.

Anyway, I was thinking, instead of going for the main networks, what if I went for a MVNO. I know BT are now doing a deal with EE for example, and I have BT phone, tv and broadband so qualify for some deals. I Googled some UK MVNO's and found this list on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators

It seems to show that EE as an example have no less than 31 MVNO's using their bandwith. Would this affect their actual main network (I.e. EE), and are all those MVNO's competing for the same space on the network?

I was basically wondering that if I weighed up prices on Asda mobile, verses BT mobile, verses co-operative mobile etc, would I get the same level of service (coverage and internet speeds) on all of them, and is that equal to what EE themselves offer, or do they 'keep some in reserve' for themselves?
Samsung Galaxy S6 - Next is now!

First Mobile: Cellnet Easylife payg in 1997
phillpark
Trustee

Re: MVNO's

PostPosted by MI5 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:29 am

The main networks sell off bandwidth to the MVNO'S so the parent will always have the fastest speeds for data.
Call and text will be the same though so it's just data speed that will vary.
Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
S3 i9305, Rooted, CM 12.1, Lycamobile.
Xperia Z5 Dual Sim, EE & O2.
Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet LTE, Three.

Imitation. The sincerest form of flattery
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/psl184
MI5
Site Admin

PostPosted by phillpark » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 am

Just out of curiosity had a look at Asda mobile. Seems soem reasonable deals, but apparently no 4G? Can't believe Virgin Mobile hadn't got 4G when i was with them. Every couple of months they'd phone me with a 'special offer' for a loyal customer, and every time I shot them down in flames saying I would never consider it till they got 4G!

phillpark
Trustee

PostPosted by phillpark » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:39 am

I could pay £12pm to BT to get 2Gb of 4G data, 500 mins and unlimited texts, plus free BT-WiFi. Not bad!

phillpark
Trustee

PostPosted by MI5 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 am

Bt are offering some good deals esp if you are already a bt customer.
Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
S3 i9305, Rooted, CM 12.1, Lycamobile.
Xperia Z5 Dual Sim, EE & O2.
Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet LTE, Three.

Imitation. The sincerest form of flattery
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/psl184
MI5
Site Admin

Return to Pay monthly