Advice on nuisance calls

Get help and advice about all other services.

Advice on nuisance calls

PostPosted by stuart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:43 am

How to deal with nuisance phone calls

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecom ... d-messages
Help4Mobiles on Facebook
helpwithmobile on Twitter
help4mobiles on Instagram
help4mobiles on YouTube
www.help4mobiles.blogspot.co.uk
stuart
Social Media Manager

Re: Advice on nuisance calls

PostPosted by Cleoriff » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Personally I only find this info 'quite' helpful. Nothing much you can do if the call registers as Withheld

A withheld call can be something that is generated via a main switchboard ie hospital, GP surgery or workplace.(to name but a few)
You can't avoid them as you may miss something important.
They can also be spam callers from outside the UK..

So until you pick up the phone you never know who the hell it is if honest. (I am talking about a landline here)

I rarely get anything on my mobile. If I do and it's unrecognised I don't answer (particularly when abroad) I then block the number.
The Game Is On....
Cleoriff
Global Mod

PostPosted by jonsie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Exactly my philosophy
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!
jonsie
Trustee

PostPosted by stuart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Very true but I thought it might raise awareness to people who might not understand
Help4Mobiles on Facebook
help4mobiles on YouTube
stuart
Social Media Manager

PostPosted by Cleoriff » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:02 pm

stuart wrote:Very true but I thought it might raise awareness to people who might not understand

That's fair enough Stu and it's good you posted There are many who don't understand as you say. It was the main story on Watchdog last week...so it is a major issue for many. One family with a special needs 17 year old son were getting up to 25 nuisance calls a day. Watchdog helped them by fitting some type of call blocking device to their landline ;)
The Game Is On....
Cleoriff
Global Mod

PostPosted by stuart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Cleoriff wrote:
stuart wrote:Very true but I thought it might raise awareness to people who might not understand

That's fair enough Stu and it's good you posted There are many who don't understand as you say. It was the main story on Watchdog last week...so it is a major issue for many. One family with a special needs 17 year old son were getting up to 25 nuisance calls a day. Watchdog helped them by fitting some type of call blocking device to their landline ;)

Yeah I've seen those boxes before last year I think on watchdog or panorama
Help4Mobiles on Facebook
help4mobiles on YouTube
stuart
Social Media Manager

PostPosted by Cairdeas » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:42 am

Most nuisance calls I get are through the landline. As you say , it's withheld numbers sometimes that may be a hospital or doctor etc.. If you have any vulnerable people at home you don't like to ignore them. Only yesterday I got some foreign bloke calling me to say he was from Microsoft..I just congratulated him and hung up lol x
Cairdeas
Trustee

PostPosted by Cleoriff » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:23 am

Cairdeas wrote:Only yesterday I got some foreign bloke calling me to say he was from Microsoft..I just congratulated him and hung up lol x

Now my reply to these idiots is mood dependent.
I may say 'Yeah so what?'...if he goes on about my laptop I tell him I haven't got one therefore he is obviously a lying scammer
Or I may slam the phone down with a few 'expletive deleted' comments

I had a very rude one 2 days ago. Number displayed....English lass initially talking politely.
She was trying to sell me an alarm device that would link my number to the police fire and ambulance services 'giving me priority'
I told her I wasn't interested
She turned nasty and asked why I wasn't interested in saving lives :cleo
I replied
Firstly thank you so much for giving me your name and number....I work for one of those services so know how they work. I have saved more lives than you will ever know. Get off the phone I need to report the call....
She slammed the phone down .... :halo :lol
The Game Is On....
Cleoriff
Global Mod

PostPosted by Cairdeas » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:43 am

Lol good one Den .. :lol .. They are so annoying tho lol x
Cairdeas
Trustee

PostPosted by WispaRed7 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi ... I'm getting a lot of nuisance calls on my mobile with a local code ... I messed up a genuine call last Friday when on an overcrowded hot train whilst I was having a bit of a panic attack (forgot about the diazepam I have in my handbag) ... not to self: must carry water with me ... I keep blocking these numbers but as someone whose mental health is impaired & I prefer my mobile to always be switched on ... I'm coming a cropper ... they usually catch me when I'm drowsy (a side affect of the several tablets I'm on) & I just want them to leave me alone & go away ... today I had a missed call & later rang the number = it was some sort of call centre & the woman sounded surprised = I told her not to ring me again & to delete my number then I ended the call
Any advice would be appreciated
:s_roses
*per ardua ad astra*
WispaRed7
Upcoming Member

Next

Return to Products and services