Upgrade Firmware with Odin

Upgrade Firmware with Odin

PostPosted by MI5 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:19 pm

For Samsung Phones Only

This is intended as a guide to help customers. It is not intended to be the "Holy Grail" and I am not responsible if you brick it, break it or if your phone turns into an iPhone

Use guide at your own risk, but if you are reading this because your phone is faulty, what have you got to lose??

If your phone won't boot up, crashes or needs updating, you can use a programme called "Odin". It's very simple to use and in many cases will save you from having to send your phone away fr a simple repair. It should take no more than 30 mins the first time you do it and once proficient you can get it done in 10 mins.

1 - First step is to dial *#1234# into your dialer keypad and press send. Note down the numbers that come up on screen. You are interested in the "CSC".

In my example I am using a Galaxy S3 so my CSC is "I9300O2UEMC1"

2 - Create a directory on your PC called "Odin"

3 - Download Odin https://mega.co.nz/#!epshkJAa!y7pFS5-9R ... DZWfXkLqko and save to your Odin directory.

4 - Goto http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ If you are not registered on this site you will need to "Join". It's free and only takes a couple of mins.

5 - In the search box type in the first 8 digits of your CSC, so in our example type in "I9300o2u"

6 - You will be returned with a list of firmwares that match your phones carrier and OS.

7 - Choose the file you want (usually the one at the top is the latest). Click on the line and save the download in your "Odin" directory.

8 - If you are still able to, you may want to make a back up of your phone at this point. You can do this in Kies http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefu ... e/KIES/JSP Installing Kies will also install the phones drivers to your PC (note this in case you can't connect to Odin later on).

9 - Once your back up is complete, go to your Odin folder and unzip the firmware file once only (unzip to the Odin folder). This will give you a .md5 file.

10 - Make sure Kies is shut down fully (including the status bar icon).

11 - Next run the Odin programme so it is open on your PC.

12 - Now you need your phone. Turn off your phone and remove battery for 5 secs, then reconnect battery and hold vol down + Home + power untill you see the download screen. Press vol up to continue so phone says "Download mode".

13 - Next connect phone to PC with data cable. The COM box at the top left of Odin should turn blue when phone is connected (may take a while for drivers to load but just leave it to run). If drivers don't load it may be because you haven't instaled Kies (see point 8 above).

14 - Then click the PDA box on the Odin screen and choose the .md5 file you unzipped.

15 - Wait again for Odin to verify the download (The box at the left side of Odin will show progress and say ready or "leave CS").

16 - After you see "ready" (or "leave CS") press "start" and leave it alone until it finishes.

17 - After the flash has completed the phone will reboot. The box top left in Odin will say "PASS" when it's finished. Do not unplug until you see "PASS"

18 - Unplug phone and wait for it to boot to the language selection screen, then turn off.

19 - Do a factory reset (vol up + Home + power) then reboot phone as normal and set it back up or open Kies and restore your previous back up.

20- Note that I have not suggested you tick or untick any boxes that are not set to their defaults. This is for advanced users only and the settings should not be changed for a simple firmware flash.

Good Luck

Grammar. The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
S3 i9305, Rooted, CM 12.1, Lycamobile.
Xperia Z5 Dual Sim, EE & O2.
Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet LTE, Three.

Imitation. The sincerest form of flattery
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/psl184
MI5
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Firmware with Odin

PostPosted by perksie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Top post, I get the feeling you kept copies, good lad! :)
And the voice in the wilderness said "smile things could be worse", and lo I smiled and things did get worse!
perksie
Trustee

PostPosted by MI5 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:11 pm

We should get all the other useful help topics ported over..... Fatboy's Apple videos, jonsie's ringtone duration etc.....
Anyone who had a sticky or useful thread link can you port them across please.....

MI5
Site Admin

PostPosted by liquid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Only if they're yours though don't want any DMCA malarkey :D
All those who believe in Telekenesis raise my hand.
liquid
Site Admin

PostPosted by bandofbrothers » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:09 am

MI5 wrote:For Samsung Phones Only

This is intended as a guide to help customers. It is not intended to be the "Holy Grail" and I am not responsible if you brick it, break it or if your phone turns into an iPhone

What are you like :lol:
bandofbrothers

PostPosted by jonsie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:18 am

bandofbrothers wrote:

A proper disclaimer!! :lol:
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!
jonsie
Trustee

PostPosted by bandofbrothers » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 am

jonsie wrote:
bandofbrothers wrote:

A proper disclaimer!! :lol:

Don't you start !

Rofl
bandofbrothers

PostPosted by Voice-Of-Raisin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm flogging the Mrs' old phone and would like to reflash the software to see if it sorts the wifi problem, can anyone (mi5) tell me what the correct firmware to flash is please because I can't see any definitive answers on the most recent unbranded software?

Cheers.
Voice-Of-Raisin
Established Member

PostPosted by MI5 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Can you remind me of the phone model please?
If possible type *#1234# into the dialer and tell me what it says?

MI5
Site Admin

PostPosted by Voice-Of-Raisin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 pm

I9100Xxms2

Sorry mate, can't believe I did that!
Voice-Of-Raisin